The building was constructed in place of the original Estates Theatre during 1884 – 1886 on the basis of designs by Viennese architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer. Since 1920 it has been the home of the Slovak National Theatre. The most outstanding personalities of the world opera scene have performed here, names such as F. Saliapin, P. Mascagni, R. Strauss, G. Filip, M. Freni, P. Capuccili, R. Reznikov, and J. Obrazcova. The dancers M. Fonteyn, A. Alonso, V. Vasiliev and many others have also performed on its stage. At present there are resident opera and ballet companies, and it has nurtured many renowned personalities of the current opera scene such as Peter Dvorsky, Josef Kundlak, Jan Galla, Eva Jenisova, Edita Gruberova and Lucia Poppova, who perform at the world’s top venues.