The oldest university in the territory of present-day Slovakia, founded by King Mathias Corvinus in 1465. After his death, the university ceased to exist in 1490. The Academy of Music and Drama has its seat in the building, which is today a national monument of cultural legacy….
The castle dominates the city of Bratislava – to which the first written reference is related in the annals of Salzburg of 907, in association with a battle between Bavarians and Hungarians….
The mighty fortress above the confluence of the rivers Morava and Danube is one of the most significant archaeological sites in Slovakia. The oldest traces of settlement date back to 5000 BC….
St. Martin’s Dome
The three-nave Gothic church was built in the place of the original Romanesque church. Building was started at the beginning of the 14th century and it was consecrated in 1452….
Good Shepherd’s House
This burgher rococo house of the 2nd half of the 18th century was built for a merchant of Bratislava. After reconstruction in 1975, the Municipal Museum opened a unique exhibition of historical clocks here….
Franciscan Church and Cloister
These rank among the oldest sacral buildings of the city. The Franciscan church was constructed in Gothic style in the 13th century. It was consecrated in 1297 in the presence of King Andrew II….
The only preserved gate of the medieval city fortifications. Its Gothic foundations were laid in the 1st half of the 14th century. During 1511 – 1513 it was heightened, and during 1753 – 1758 rebuilt into its present appearance when a statue of St….
A rococo palace that was built by a rich brewer, Martin Spech, during 1768-1770. Its last owner, Emil Mirbach, donated the palace to the town, provided that a gallery was established there….
The palace was built in the middle of the 19th century in the place of older houses. During the last reconstruction, archaeologists uncovered the remains of a 13th century Gothic house with a 14th century tower. The most significant find consisted of cast moulds from the Celtic period of colonisation, proving the existence of a Celtic mint in the territory of the town….
Classicist palace built during 1778 – 1781 on the basis of designs by Melchior Hefele for the archbishop Jozef Bathyány. In the attic of the roof, there are allegorical statues by J….
Old Town Hall
Originally the site of a towered house in the 14th century, the old town hall arose in the 15th century by connecting several burgher houses, and then went through several reconstructions in the course of the centuries….
Memorial for, and cemetery of 6,845 soldiers of the Soviet Army, who were killed when liberating the city at the end of World War II in April 1945. The central part has a ceremonial room with a column of 39.5 m height, on the top of which a statue of a Soviet soldier by Alexander Trizuljak is placed….
Slovak National Theatre
The building was constructed in place of the original Estates Theatre during 1884 – 1886 on the basis of designs by Viennese architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer. Since 1920 it has been the home of the Slovak National Theatre….